Can you still travel with your ID?

I have been getting so many questions about new identification policies and flying. I’m going to address some of the top questions I’ve heard from clients lately, if you have more questions about this, please feel free to reach out to us and let us help you. Here are our top 6 questions about what the ID changes mean for you and travel:

Do I need a new driver’s license to fly? The quick answer is no, you don’t need to rush to the DMV to get a new driver’s license, but yes at some point you will need a new ID. The US is implementing enhanced identification standards across all states – you’ve probably heard of REAL ID or an enhanced ID. Many people have heard the deadline was January 22, 2018 – if your state has not received an extension – and currently all 50 states are either compliant already or have received an extension.

Do my children need a REAL ID? No, children under 18 are not required to provide identification when flying, however the adults traveling with them will need appropriate ID’s. If children are flying internationally, yes, they will need a passport. So what is the actual deadline to have a new ID and how do I get it? The current extensions expire October 10, 2018, but the enforcement deadline has been extended to October 1, 2020. While you do have time, it’s still a good time to start thinking about what you will use to fly when the new standards are implemented and apply for a passport. To get a new and compliant driver’s license you will need to physically visit a DMV office with the required identification in your state and request a REAL ID.

Ok then, do I need to get a passport? You don’t need to, TSA accepts a variety of ID’s, you can see the complete list here. However – you absolutely should consider getting a passport and exploring the world! Can’t I just get a passport card? A passport card is a TSA approved form of identification, but it probably makes more sense to get a passport book instead. A passport card can only be used for land or sea travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean – it cannot be used for international air travel. That means you won’t be able to fly to or from an international port – so all cruises must still originate within the US, and you won’t be able to fly home from an international port in case of an emergency. How do I get a passport? If you don’t already have a passport, now is a great time to apply for one. For more information, start here. Apply well ahead of your planned travel to avoid a last minute rush!

Now that you have your passport, send us an email and let's plan something amazing together! Send us a message and let us know what you're thinking and let's get started!

#tipsandtricks #packingtips

Copyright 2018 | Keepsake Travel® Designs | All Rights Reserved

310-265-3890 | Los Angeles, CA |

Privacy Policy | Consumer Disclosure | Serving Clients Worldwide

A Member of the Gifted Travel Network | FL CST ST39093, CA CST 2113317-40, 2121610-70

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
KeepsakeLogoFinal_Text White.png